With reference to the President’s addresses in Mid-November and 2 December 2020, the updated Directions as far as it relates to the Department of Home Affairs is attached (Click here)
No additional services are being rendered by the DHA other than those stipulated in the Directions of 30 September 2020 (click here) Accordingly, permanent residence related services are still not permitted by the Directions (notwithstanding that the DHA are processing permanent residence related applications).
You will however note from the updated Directions that persons wishing to travel for leisure or business purposes may now do so without having to apply for and acquire prior authorisation to travel.
For your further information, we recap the following changes:
The 18 land borders which were partially operational, will be fully operational, and the 34 land borders which were closed, will remain closed.
Travelling to and from the Republic is allowed, subject to:
- travellers providing a valid negative Polymerase Chain Reaction ( “PCR “) test certificate which was obtained not more than 72 hours before the date of from an accredited laboratory and in line with World Health Organization requirements or equivalent local accreditation authority (South African Authorities reserve the right to verify the authenticity of the presented PCR or COVID-19 test certificates); and
- in the event of the traveller’s failure, for whatever reason, to submit a valid test certificate in terms of paragraph (a), as proof of a negative PCR test or a valid COVID-19 negative test status upon arrival in South Africa, the traveller shall be subjected to a compulsory quarantine or undergo COVID-19 testing in line with the National Health Regiments; and
- wearing a face mask at all times, observe social distancing, hand washing and sanitizing regularly
International air travel is restricted to the following airports-
- OR Tambo International Airport;
- King Shaka International Airport; and
- Cape Town International Airport.
Daily commuters from neighbouring countries who attend or teach at a school in the Republic, and who are allowed entry into and exit from the Republic, subject to compliance with COVID-19 protocols as mentioned above.
All commercial seaports will be opened.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact our office.
Remain safe and remain well.